Thursday, June 6, 2013

BLAST FROM THE FASHION PAST: LUELLA BARTLEY'S GRAFFITI DRESS

Posted by Bethan Holt, Junior Fashion Editor at Large

As I was on a course last Friday, fashion news didn't happen. If it had, then it would probably have been dominated by my excitement that Luella Bartley is making a return to design with a new post as Design Director at Marc by Marc Jacobs, alongside Katie Hillier as Creative Director. Luella holds a special, if slightly silly, place in my heart. In my early teens I was quite obsessed with her collections and so decided to make a skirt inspired by this graffiti dress from her SS01 collection for my Textiles GCSE. I even wrote her a letter which, sadly, I never received a reply too. I pored over a Vogue feature she had written about designing the collection and always remembered that she said the shape was supposed to look a bit like a pillowcase. The effect I achieved was nowhere near as authentic as Luella's- my method was fabric paints in squidgy tubes- but it was thrilling to me to be able to make my own catwalk tribute anyway. Bring on Luella 2.0.


No comments:

Post a Comment